Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hair Damage Repair. Why Silicones & Anti Frizz Serums are BAD & whats Good for Perms & Rebonding.



A couple of years ago, I did the most thoughtless thing of my life- I permed my hair!  I got geat big curls in my black, wavy hair & it was oh! such a lovely sight.
Till my hair started to drop off and became Unmanageable! a word only the chemically treated can fathom.
.
Dry as grass, rough, horrendous frizz, Ugh.
I slapped on half a dozen Anti-Frizz products - John Frieda, Clairol, Silk Drops, Dove,  etc. and thought they'd work.
What they did was to make my hair temporarily manageable, but the next day or week, depending on the product, it became slightly to far worse.
Every morning I got up and moaned. I cut off some hair, used hair masks, got Nexxus, shampoo &  conditioner, and while it became marginally better, it wasnt for long.
I was spending hours, leave alone $$ on my hair.

Paul mitchell's Gallon Detangler
Then I started to research.
1. Why is my hair rough, dry. frizzy, unmanageable
2. Why dont the Antifrizz serums help for more than a few hours?
3. What can I do now.

1) Well Answer to 1 was simple.
Rough, Dry, unmanageable means I had Damaged hair.
Which means, because of  the structure changes due to rebonding chemicals, not just hair was fragile & brittle, but there was a loss of scalp's natural oil, Sebum.
Sebum, coats the hair, and
the reason that hair is manageable & shiny.

2) Antifrizz serums & Detanglers , why werent they working?Now this was an eye-opener.

All products that say they make hair manageable or shiny are basically Silicones or Cones.

Silicones mask hair damage by coating the hair, making hair appear healthier and shinier.
This coating prevents moisture reaching hair, making it more brittle, and  build up over time when  it will cause extensive breakage.
I read that Hairstylists have sometimes actually scraped off silicones wax off people's hair with scissors

Anti-frizz serums actually create MORE frizz -else, who's  gonna buy 'em?

See Also Anti-Frizz Natural Oil Serum for softening hair with each use.

Then I found out theres a whole "cone-free" revolution where these ladies all decide on not using products with silicones. Ever.
And that includes many many hair products including shampoos and conditioners.


Silicones in Indian Market
If you already use products with Silicones- Antifrizz serums, Shampoos & Conditioners which say shiny, healthy hair, detanglers- just like me- they have to be removed with a Clarifying shampoo,  & condition intensively

Indian products with silicones?
Difficult to point out, as ingredients are not listed - but anything that says rub in for smooth hair - Pantenes Hair Repair n Care & Livon.
Steer clear of them if you dont want to damage your hair


Now, the important bit.
3) Restore hair to optimum health which means no more Silicones on my labels. ( Dimethicone & Cyclomethicone, the cone products!)

As far as the perm was concerned, the only way out was to make hair grow out faster, and keep cutting. Wait it out atleast a couple years, while nourishing with our Natural Damaged Hair Serum

Natural Damaged Hair Serum addreses 4 thing:s:
1. loss of sebum, 2. dryness of hair, 3.roughness (cuticle damage) & 4.hairloss in clumps (boohoo)

Jojoba, Avocado & Macadamia
A mix of natural oils that mimic natural sebum, like Macadamia & Jojoba . For dryness & roughness, in went nourishing, penetrating oils like Avocado & oils for giving a silkiness like Abyssinian. For hairloss, added therapeutic essential oils + Natural Hairgrow (our flagship product for reduced hair loss, increased growth. See Pictures & Reviews here from Indian users).

I would apply the mix to my hair and scalp, leave it on overnight and wash it off with a mild shampoo + a heavy, heavy conditioner - or if I wasnt going out, not wash it off at all & reapply in a couple days. This went on for about 2 weeks.



Recovery
In each use, I noticed a difference.Hair was less brittle & rough.
By 4 uses, I saw reduced Hairloss, reduced dryness, roughness, and the frizz was somewhat better, so much more behaved, I knew I was on the path to recovery
.
I kept clear of Anti-frizz serums, except on occasion, & made sure to wash them out, Steered away from the pool, and used a scarf. My hair became healthy and grew longer quicker as it was well nourished.

The thrice weekly routine continued for a couple months, and a few months later, I could cut off most of the (now) straightened out perm and hair was  glossy & smooth.

I now use minimal products,  brush with a paddle brush 2X for 3 mins a day to redistribute oils and do a warm oil treatment with Hair Repair once a month.
To lighten my highlights, I use Damaged Hair- Blond Tint with Chamomile
and to darken, I use Damaged Hair Brunette Tint with Rosemary.
They work kinda similar to John Frieda's Blond & Brunette shampoos/conditioners but they are not synthetic Dyes, so the tints are not exact, they will lighten or darken the highlights you have.

  The natural color of the Serum is pale yellow, unlike the above products which are colored with dyes, and is nourishing to scalp and smoothing hair by coating them with natural oils.

Buy Our Serums

Damaged Hair Blond Tint & Brunette Tint are available in USA.www.HolisticSerums.com
Hair Smoothing Serum , Hair Regrowth Serums and anti-aging serums are available in India on www.HolisticSerums.in

I would love to hear opinions on your experience with Perms, Rebonding, Straightening, Anti-frizz serums & other cone products. Let me know!
See Also Anti-Frizz Natural Oil Serum for softening hair.

8 comments:

  1. I have used tres semmme anti frizz creme, paul mitchel smoothing serum, livon and other silicone products, which all gave me temporary shine. After I washed my hair, over a period of time, my hair became much worse than it was before I used the Product. It became brittle, dry, frizzy and unmanageable. I have been using hair grow serum for a month now, and my hair seems to be smooth,shiny and manageable even after washing it, even though I have been applying only a couple of drops daily only on my scalp. My hair fall has also reduced, even though its not completely stopped. Thanks Ruth for this wonderful product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Preeti!

    I am so glad you loved Natural Hairgrow. It is really the most important part of the Hair Smoothing (& Damage Repair) Serums

    There is a huge coverup by the big companies, so we never know how badly synthetic products damage our hair & skin & body. Most have studies to back them up but reality is a different story.

    Research has been quoted that silicones have ability to provide conditioning, shine, manageability, improved combing, reduced flyaway and a number of other benefits.

    Nobody will say that these benefits are ONLY TEMPORARY and worse, that they actually DAMAGE the natural properties of hair, so they can never regain the original state.

    At Holistic Serums, our Mission is to Regain Natural & Healthy Beauty.

    Ruth Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad i came upon your blog! I have just recently switched from redken to aveda. I will try these new products for a month and see if i see a difference. I have steered away from the silicones (which was very hard) but we will see how this works. I am going to need to buy those oils you mentioned. Jojoba, advocado, macadamian, and abyssinnian. Thanks for all your help!--Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I awitched to Aveda to just to schockingly read the back of the ingredient list, there is Dimethicone in some Conditioners, Leave ins and Style Preps!

      Delete
    2. The majority of hair treatment products will use Dimethicone or other silicones.
      We, as women, need to get used to having healthy, naturally shiny hair, as opposed to the high-gloss slick & smooth hair that the magazines promote.
      We must respect our body, and our hair!
      The most important priority should be that hair is at its healthiest.

      Delete
  4. You're welcome Jamie.
    I know it really takes courage to go out there without the silicone-smoothed hair we all got used to!
    Do post a comment on the non-silicone Aveda products and/or the oils helped out.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. what about KMS products? I understand they have silicone which is why stylists like them so much:

    it makes hair shiny and smooth when you leave (but you can't duplicate it because the silicone is a mask and underneath your hair is dry).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most stylists will like Silicone products as it makes the hair manageable and easily style-able.
      I dont have experience with KMS products, our main priority is for healthy, natural hair- and any type of silicone increases damage. Add this to already treated/permed hair, and there's a disaster waiting to happen.

      Delete

Was that Helpful, Useful, Entertaining? or anything else? TALK to me. And btw, connect to us on Facebook.