Monday, November 17, 2014

Recipe: Sticky Licky Rich buttery (!) Vegan Chocolate

Everyone makes chocolate at some time in their life. (or should)
Since I was making Vegan everything else, I thought why not Vegan Chocolate?

I've tried Vegan chocolates that other people make-and its not that they lack something- but I like chocolate that is very rich and buttery, preferably with a slightly bitter taste.
But butter's not allowed so I did the next best thing- or rather The Best Thing- Cocoa butter - Theobroma cacao.
I thought about an erstwhile Chocolate perfume I made (ah memories of perfumes- so tantalizing and out of reach)

So after the 2nd attempt, I was left with lickable Vegan chocolate-

Now everything's eyeballed- so these measurements can go a bit here and there

2 tbsp cocoa butter
4tbsp palm sugar - for an even more burnt, bittery, salty, liquory after taste
(if you are against palm products-  try molasses, maple syrup, I don't care for jaggery in my chocolate, but you could do that too, Brown sugar may also be ok. )
4 tbsp regular sugar
Cocoa powder - about 1/2 a 100g tin.
2 cardamoms

Palm sugar has a very complex range of flavors, but it is super-rich in iron and you must eat only a little of it per day.

Melt the sugars in a little water before putting in.
Melt everything in a double boiler till all the liquid goes away.
First the cocoa butter, then the melted sugars n cardamom.
If you put in the palm sugar unmelted, you will have a crunchy chocolate kind of like a sugar scrub consistency.

About 3/4 cup of chocolate, like nothing you've ever tasted.
Leaves a nice slightly bitter, full, rich taste
Real cocoa butter gives that buttery feel that is next to impossible to get- and all the flavors from the Palm sugar and cardamom are soooo ohmigosh.

There are no pics of the chocolate coz everything's licked clean between me n my kids and anyway everyone hid it away from everyone else.
.
--
Right after I made the chocolate, I made a Chocolate Skin Polish because I couldn't get away from the flavors- but thats another day, another post.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, vegan chocolate ? I want some Esther :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madhulika, come n meet me! I will make some for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Was that Helpful, Useful, Entertaining? or anything else? TALK to me. And btw, connect to us on Facebook.